The American Land Title Association (ALTA) gathers input from agents and underwriters all year long about issues that they struggle with, issues they identify as threats to our industry, and forward-thinking issues. The staff of ALT A then categorizes them and develops a list of strategic priorities to guide the leadership and committee members throughout the year. While these are national priorities, they are also very relevant to the Texas market and our Texas agents. Many of these priorities are not new to the list. They are ongoing issues that continue to influence our markets and business processes. Two new priorities on the list relate to IT/cyber security and employee issues. These issues took up a majority of the time spent at the conference and many will become areas of focus for your efforts in 2017.
As you read through this list of strategic priorities and identify ones that are important to you and your operations, please plan carefully. First National Title Insurance Company (FNTI) is committed to providing you with the tools and talent to implement the plans and processes necessary to accomplish your goals. In other words, we can help you with any of these strategic priorities.
The 2017 Strategic Priorities are:
Best Practices – FNTI has the staff and templates to get you certified. These practices will continue to be viewed as the standard of our industry.
- Expand the understanding in the lending community of Best Practices as an industry standard for compliance programs.
- Promote the ALTA Registry as an industry utility to validate the identity of the title agents.
Homebuyer Communication – FNTI is developing new marketing materials based on ALTA’s HOPS program.
- Promote simple, clear communications directly with homebuyers who want information about our industry.
- Educate and communicate with homebuyers about the benefits of our products and services.
- Promote innovative consumer education and better online presence for our industry.
Core Industry Value – FNTI was formed with the tenant of a strong ethical culture and the motto of “People do business with those they know, like, and trust.”
- Create a program that reflects the strengths of the industry through our strong professional values, centered on our compliance with the laws and regulations governing our industry and encouraging strong ethical company cultures.
Information Security – Everyone in our industry must now face this growing threat and make this priority # 1.
- Educate our members on security threats to the information and funds entrusted to their businesses in a cyber and physical environment.
- Provide collaborative efforts to engage and educate security professionals in our industry.
Talent Focus and Business Basics – FNTI is committed to bringing a younger generation into this industry and to educating the current workforce. This is a short-term priority with long term benefits.
- Increase skills of the current workforce and enhance knowledge about the industry.
- Promote this profession to prospective employees to attract talent and build future leaders for our industry.
TRID – FNTI continues to work on TRID through our involvement with the TLTA.
- Manage continued implementation of the 2015 TRID rule and the 2016 TRID revisions with special attention to programs and policies that can ease collaboration and transparency for the consumer.
Please contact any of our staff to discuss these priorities on an individual basis. There are excellent opportunities to make your business stronger and more successful, and we look forward to assisting you with your efforts.
Thank you for your continued support, and I look forward to tackling these strategic priorities in 2017.